There are two factors allowing a heart to beat. One is the presence of healthy heart muscle and the other is a functioning network of nerves creating an electrical system which governs the heart’s rhythm.
Electrophysiology (EP) is the part of cardiology that diagnoses and treats the heart’s electrical problems, which cause irregular heartbeats, racing heartbeats and other rhythm disorders, including atrial fibrillation.
At St. Bernards, our electrophysiology center provides comprehensive solutions for a host of rhythm disorders including:
- Atrial fibrillation
- Supraventricular tachycardia
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Sick sinus syndrome
- Pacemaker or defibrillator malfunction
- Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome
We were the first EP lab in Northeast Arkansas to perform a procedure to correct AFib using WATCHMAN implant technology.
Rhythm Disorder Symptoms
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you might have an electrical problem with your heart. Left untreated, your irregular heartbeat might lead to more serious conditions like stroke or heart failure. So don’t wait. Get help.
- An irregular or skipping heart beat
- A heart beat that races out of control without warning
St. Bernards EP physicians perform the following procedures to diagnose and correct electrical problems in the heart:
- Electrophysiology study
- Catheter ablation
- Evaluation and treatment of arrhythmias
- Pacemaker and cardioverter-deﬁbrillators (ICD)
- Intracardiac echocardiograms
- Management of antiarrhythmic medications